Schertz Animal Hospital’s Blog
Our Favorite Fall Activities for Pets
Although temps are still warm, autumn is an amazing time here in Texas Hill Country. The spirit of fall is in the air, and it seems as though just about everyone is out and about (and holding a pumpkin spiced latte!). If you’re looking for ways to take advantage of the season with your pet, you’ve come to the right place.
10 Fun Fall Activities for Pets
- Camping – Whether you’re a dyed-in-the-wool tent camper or “glamping” is more your style, take a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life at one of San Antonio’s many pet-friendly campgrounds.
- Farmers market – Going to a local farmers market is a wonderful way to appreciate the season’s bounty. Many markets welcome leashed, well-behaved pups.
- Agility training – Indoor agility training is something you and your dog can do all year long. A great source of exercise and enrichment, there are several facilities to choose from right here in Schertz.
- Dog parks – The (slightly) cooler temps make this a good time of year to visit one of the many Schertz area dog parks. Don’t forget to clean up after your pet!
- Leaf pile – After an afternoon of raking, reward yourself and your pet with a good ol’ fashioned romp in the leaf piles! Afterward, make sure to check your pet for ticks, and remove any debris from the fur or paws.
- Pet Halloween party – If you missed the 4th annual Bark-in-the-Park pet costume contest in San Antonio, you can still celebrate the holiday in style by hosting your own pet costume party. Serve treats and bowls of water (be sure to keep people food and drinks away from pets), and hand out pet-friendly prizes for the top contenders.
- Pumpkin picking – Nothing says fall like a trip to the pumpkin patch! Your dog will have a blast as you take in the fresh air and grab a pumpkin or three (call first before bringing your dog, as not all pumpkin patches allow pets).
- Treat time – Halloween candy is bad for pets, but that doesn’t mean your furry family member shouldn’t be allowed to indulge a little. Whipping up a batch of healthy treats for your pet is the purrrfect way to spend a crisp fall evening. Pumpkin is a tasty, nutritious food that can be added to both dog and cat treats!
- Fall foliage – Texas may not be well-known for its fall foliage, but if you’re up for a day trip, you can take in some breathtaking autumnal colors at Lost Maples State Natural Area. Leashed pets are allowed on the trails (just be sure to keep your pet close and watch out for rattlesnakes).
- Movie marathon – Cuddling up by the fire with your pet, a mug of apple cider, and a few Halloween movies sounds great to us, and we’re pretty sure your pet would agree!
Awesome, caring, sympathetic and pets are Number One! — D.O
I LOVE Dr. Mossberg. He and the staff are Amazing and SOOO CARING! They are the BEST — M. Lerma
Dr. Mossburg is WONDERFUL! He is so patient! Answers all my questions. I don't feel rushed. He is just so awesome with our Sophie! — S. Cobarruvias
This is the only place I trust with my girl. They always take great care of my Yorkie. — A Byrd
We can't say enough about Schertz Animal Hospital. Dr. Rodriguez and the whole staff are wonderful and so caring. — P. Ring
This is a wonderful animal hospital. Will highly recommend them for anyone who loves and cares about their pets. — B. Lewis
Have taken our pets there for years. Dr. R. Is the best. We appreciate him and the rest of his hard working staff. — C. Yeary
These are our first pets and first ever Vet visit. We are very pleased with the attention, knowledge, and quality of care. Very pleased with our decision!. — J. Tibbetts
We love the care the staff provides, they are big enough to provide services without having to wait long for an appointment, but still make you feel like family. Love this place. — T. Ha
Took my cat in today on an emergency basis and they were so helpful and kind. They have done what they can for him. I have a dog too and this is the only place I will be taking her to. Best vet we have ever been too. — L. Hamilton
Exceptional customer service and great care of my Sammy! Dr. Rodriguez "Dr. R" is the BEST! — A. Garcia
We absolutely love Schertz Animal Hospital for our puppy! They are so caring and take good care of our Bella. — P. Willard
The entire staff is friendly to me and my Bradley. I feel that my Bradley is in good hands. — A. Cano
Love Schertz Animal Hospital. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Dr. Mossburg is thorough and caring. We have taken 3 of our rescues there. Most recently our 7 year old Rottweiler we rescued. They have always taken excellent care of them. — A. Peterson
Schertz Animal Hospital really cares about your pet. They know their stuff. They been in Schertz for many years. All the doctors really know how to relate to us as they are pet owners too. I highly recommend them for all your Veterinary needs. You won't be sorry. SAH thank you for taking such great care of my Service Dog. — K. Duchess
Schertz Animal Hospital is a group of some of the most selfless people. They have been so attentive and caring to my pups, literally dropping everything to care for their needs. I am blessed and ever so grateful to have this team a part of my little family's life. Alley and Noah looooove you all! Y'all are the bomb dot com! Keep on keepin' on ladies and gents! — A.H
Dr. Mossberg and his assistant, Terri, are outstanding! Rusty can be difficult and they are so patient and kind. My husband and I really appreciate that they go the extra mile! Thank you!!! — T. & M. Taylor
I am totally satisfied with the practices, procedures, and service currently in place and have no recommendation for improvement. — R. Schutte
The front staff are awesome and have great attitudes. Very friendly and approachable. — R. & D. Carter
This is the one place that I feel completely safe with taking my Jasmine too. All of you take good care of her. Thank you. — C. & J. Smith
I appreciate being able to walk in (I did call first) with no appt. The doctor was booked but he still took care of my pet. Kudos to Dr. Rodriguez!! — S. & C. Mag
You are doing everything super good!!! Keep it up!!!! — W. Williams
I have never had a vet office that treats its patients so well, and throughly explains all diagnosis and possible treatment. I have always bragged on this office and will continue to do so. — M. & N. Heller
Always professional, clean atmosphere. — J. Wilson
Love how Dr Rodriguez has a passion for what he does - it makes a huge difference! The staff is friendly and caring - thank you. — Anonymous
Very nice facility that is well kept up. Whenever one of my pets needs medical care,I know I can rely on Schertz Animal Hospital to provide excellent care. — D. & R. Lanier
Dr. Rodriguez and his staff are always pleasant, caring and I feel very confident in the care given to all of our pets! :) — M. & J. Hild