Schertz Animal Hospital’s Blog
A Bundle Of Joy: Your Dog and Your New Baby
For many, there’s nothing more exciting than introducing a new baby to our family, and that includes our beloved pets. Dogs and kids have a long history of lasting relationships, but it’s important to get off to a great start. As with any new change, there are bound to be a few hurdles in the beginning, but with our guide to your dog and your new baby, you can be prepared for this adjustment and even help your dog ahead of time to meet this new phase of life head on.
Before the Birth
You may already have a lot on your plate, but as far as your dog is concerned, there are several things to do before you bring your baby home. These tips can help you soothe any signs of discomfort in your pet and get everyone started off on the right foot.
- Schedule a wellness exam so we can update any vaccines, make sure your pet is on year-round parasite prevention, get a nail trim and have their coat groomed.
- Brush up on basic training. Your pet must respond correctly to basic commands, and training can help to reduce unwanted barking, jumping, aggressiveness, and possessiveness.
- Introduce your pet to all the baby things. Make her a part of your preparations, and make it fun and rewarding for her. Let her investigate the baby’s room and praise her while she does.
- You want to establish a positive connection with all things baby related.
- If you intend on keeping your dog away from certain areas when the baby arrives, do so as soon as possible so that your dog doesn’t associate the change directly with the new baby.
- Practice walking your dog next to the baby’s empty stroller
- Desensitize your pet to the sights and sounds of new babies. You can play recordings of baby sounds, and even get your dog used to the smells of any products you’ll be using.
- Establish a safe space where your pet can retreat. Crate training can be beneficial so that your dog knows where he can go if things get too loud or stressful. Of course, make this a happy place for him – with his toys, bed, and food nearby.
Your Dog and Your New Baby
Once your baby is born, there are a few things to know that will help ease your dog and your new baby’s first meeting. Schertz Animal Hospital is here to help, so call us if you have specific questions about these tips.
- Have someone bring home a small article of clothing (like a hat) with the new baby’s scent on it. Introduce it to your dog with lots of praise and treats before the baby comes home.
- If the mother has the strongest connection to the dog, have her come inside the house alone, first. The dog has likely missed her, and this gives them a chance to reconnect together.
- Allow your dog to investigate the baby, praising her for good behavior
- Do not force your dog to interact with the baby. Allow her to come to the baby at her own pace.
- Stick to your pet’s routine as much as possible.
- If you are finding it difficult to give your pet attention, hire a dog walker or set up doggy daycare.
- Address attention seeking behaviors immediately.
- Never scold or punish your pet.
- For safety, your dog and your new baby should never be left alone together.
Watch your dog’s behavior closely and go slowly. In no time, your dog and your new baby will be acclimated to each other, and with your loving guidance and preparation, will soon begin a beautiful relationship that can last a lifetime. If you have any concerns, please call us.
Congratulations on your growing family, from all of us at Schertz Animal Hospital!
Awesome, caring, sympathetic and pets are Number One! — D.O
I LOVE Dr. Mossberg. He and the staff are Amazing and SOOO CARING! They are the BEST — M. Lerma
Dr. Mossburg is WONDERFUL! He is so patient! Answers all my questions. I don't feel rushed. He is just so awesome with our Sophie! — S. Cobarruvias
This is the only place I trust with my girl. They always take great care of my Yorkie. — A Byrd
We can't say enough about Schertz Animal Hospital. Dr. Rodriguez and the whole staff are wonderful and so caring. — P. Ring
This is a wonderful animal hospital. Will highly recommend them for anyone who loves and cares about their pets. — B. Lewis
Have taken our pets there for years. Dr. R. Is the best. We appreciate him and the rest of his hard working staff. — C. Yeary
These are our first pets and first ever Vet visit. We are very pleased with the attention, knowledge, and quality of care. Very pleased with our decision!. — J. Tibbetts
We love the care the staff provides, they are big enough to provide services without having to wait long for an appointment, but still make you feel like family. Love this place. — T. Ha
Took my cat in today on an emergency basis and they were so helpful and kind. They have done what they can for him. I have a dog too and this is the only place I will be taking her to. Best vet we have ever been too. — L. Hamilton
Exceptional customer service and great care of my Sammy! Dr. Rodriguez "Dr. R" is the BEST! — A. Garcia
We absolutely love Schertz Animal Hospital for our puppy! They are so caring and take good care of our Bella. — P. Willard
The entire staff is friendly to me and my Bradley. I feel that my Bradley is in good hands. — A. Cano
Love Schertz Animal Hospital. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Dr. Mossburg is thorough and caring. We have taken 3 of our rescues there. Most recently our 7 year old Rottweiler we rescued. They have always taken excellent care of them. — A. Peterson
Schertz Animal Hospital really cares about your pet. They know their stuff. They been in Schertz for many years. All the doctors really know how to relate to us as they are pet owners too. I highly recommend them for all your Veterinary needs. You won't be sorry. SAH thank you for taking such great care of my Service Dog. — K. Duchess
Schertz Animal Hospital is a group of some of the most selfless people. They have been so attentive and caring to my pups, literally dropping everything to care for their needs. I am blessed and ever so grateful to have this team a part of my little family's life. Alley and Noah looooove you all! Y'all are the bomb dot com! Keep on keepin' on ladies and gents! — A.H
Dr. Mossberg and his assistant, Terri, are outstanding! Rusty can be difficult and they are so patient and kind. My husband and I really appreciate that they go the extra mile! Thank you!!! — T. & M. Taylor
I am totally satisfied with the practices, procedures, and service currently in place and have no recommendation for improvement. — R. Schutte
The front staff are awesome and have great attitudes. Very friendly and approachable. — R. & D. Carter
This is the one place that I feel completely safe with taking my Jasmine too. All of you take good care of her. Thank you. — C. & J. Smith
I appreciate being able to walk in (I did call first) with no appt. The doctor was booked but he still took care of my pet. Kudos to Dr. Rodriguez!! — S. & C. Mag
You are doing everything super good!!! Keep it up!!!! — W. Williams
I have never had a vet office that treats its patients so well, and throughly explains all diagnosis and possible treatment. I have always bragged on this office and will continue to do so. — M. & N. Heller
Always professional, clean atmosphere. — J. Wilson
Love how Dr Rodriguez has a passion for what he does - it makes a huge difference! The staff is friendly and caring - thank you. — Anonymous
Very nice facility that is well kept up. Whenever one of my pets needs medical care,I know I can rely on Schertz Animal Hospital to provide excellent care. — D. & R. Lanier
Dr. Rodriguez and his staff are always pleasant, caring and I feel very confident in the care given to all of our pets! :) — M. & J. Hild