Protecting the Newest Members of Your Family
Starting a pet off right can set him or her up for a long and healthy life. At Schertz Animal Hospital, our veterinarians and staff enjoy seeing the newest member of your family and we will partner with you to get them started on the right paw.
- First physical exam—Puppies should be seen by our veterinarians at 6 weeks of age or as soon as you bring them home.
- Distemper combination—Puppies are given the first DHLPP vaccination at 6 weeks of age. They are given boosters at 9 and 12 weeks of age, and then a Parvo only at 16 weeks. After the series they will be protected for 1 year.
- Bordetella—The bordetella vaccination is given starting at 6 weeks orally, then a booster is given 3 weeks later. Following the puppy series, puppies will be protected for 6 months.
- Rabies—At 12 weeks of age, puppies are given the rabies vaccination, which will offer them protection for one year.
- Canine influenza—At 12 weeks of age, puppies are given the first canine influenza vaccination. They are given a booster at 16 weeks of age, and then will be protected for one year.
- Rattlesnake vaccine—Similar to the canine influenza vaccination, puppies receive the rattlesnake vaccination at 12 and 16 weeks of age, and then are protected for one year.
- Parasite prevention
- Intestinal parasites—Beginning at 4 weeks of age, Schertz Animal Hospital recommends deworming. Puppies are dewormed at each of their wellness checkups and will be tested yearly as adults to ensure they remain free of intestinal parasites.
- Heartworm—As part of our puppy wellness packet, your puppy will be given a complementary first heartworm preventive dose at 6 weeks of age. We recommend yearly heartworm testing and regular monthly preventive.
- Spaying/neutering—Once the puppy vaccinations are complete, as long as your puppy weighs at least 4 pounds, our veterinarians will recommend spaying or neutering. There are many health benefits to spaying and neutering, which our veterinarians can clarify for you.
- First physical exam—Kittens should be seen by our veterinarians at 6 weeks of age or as soon as you bring them home.
- FVRCP vaccination—Kittens are given the first FVRCP vaccine at 6 weeks and receive boosters at 9 and 12 weeks of age. They will then be protected for one year.
- Feline leukemia—At 6 weeks of age, kittens are tested for feline leukemia. As long as the test is negative, they receive their first vaccination at 6 weeks and get one booster between 9 and 10 weeks of age. After the kitten series, they will be protected for one year.
- Rabies—The rabies vaccination is given at 12 weeks of age and will protect the kitten for one year.
- Intestinal parasites—Our veterinarians recommend deworming at 4 weeks of age and at each of your kitten’s healthy checkups. Once your kitten is an adult, we recommend yearly testing to ensure your pet remains free of intestinal parasites.
- Heartworm—As part of our kitten wellness packet, your kitten will be given a complementary first heartworm preventive dose at 6 weeks of age. We recommend he or she remain on heartworm preventive year-round.
- Spaying/neutering—Due to the many health benefits of spaying and neutering, our veterinarians recommend the surgery be done following completion of the kitten vaccinations at about 4 months of age.
- Declawing—Ask our veterinarians about declawing your pet. Our vet can give you the pros and cons about the laser procedure.
At Schertz Animal Hospital, we hope you will entrust us with your puppy or kitten, and we look forward to seeing him or her grow and become an integral part of your family.
Awesome, caring, sympathetic and pets are Number One! — D.O
I LOVE Dr. Mossberg. He and the staff are Amazing and SOOO CARING! They are the BEST — M. Lerma
Dr. Mossburg is WONDERFUL! He is so patient! Answers all my questions. I don't feel rushed. He is just so awesome with our Sophie! — S. Cobarruvias
This is the only place I trust with my girl. They always take great care of my Yorkie. — A Byrd
We can't say enough about Schertz Animal Hospital. Dr. Rodriguez and the whole staff are wonderful and so caring. — P. Ring
This is a wonderful animal hospital. Will highly recommend them for anyone who loves and cares about their pets. — B. Lewis
Have taken our pets there for years. Dr. R. Is the best. We appreciate him and the rest of his hard working staff. — C. Yeary
These are our first pets and first ever Vet visit. We are very pleased with the attention, knowledge, and quality of care. Very pleased with our decision!. — J. Tibbetts
We love the care the staff provides, they are big enough to provide services without having to wait long for an appointment, but still make you feel like family. Love this place. — T. Ha
Took my cat in today on an emergency basis and they were so helpful and kind. They have done what they can for him. I have a dog too and this is the only place I will be taking her to. Best vet we have ever been too. — L. Hamilton
Exceptional customer service and great care of my Sammy! Dr. Rodriguez "Dr. R" is the BEST! — A. Garcia
We absolutely love Schertz Animal Hospital for our puppy! They are so caring and take good care of our Bella. — P. Willard
The entire staff is friendly to me and my Bradley. I feel that my Bradley is in good hands. — A. Cano
Love Schertz Animal Hospital. The staff are all friendly and helpful. Dr. Mossburg is thorough and caring. We have taken 3 of our rescues there. Most recently our 7 year old Rottweiler we rescued. They have always taken excellent care of them. — A. Peterson
Schertz Animal Hospital really cares about your pet. They know their stuff. They been in Schertz for many years. All the doctors really know how to relate to us as they are pet owners too. I highly recommend them for all your Veterinary needs. You won't be sorry. SAH thank you for taking such great care of my Service Dog. — K. Duchess
Schertz Animal Hospital is a group of some of the most selfless people. They have been so attentive and caring to my pups, literally dropping everything to care for their needs. I am blessed and ever so grateful to have this team a part of my little family's life. Alley and Noah looooove you all! Y'all are the bomb dot com! Keep on keepin' on ladies and gents! — A.H
Dr. Mossberg and his assistant, Terri, are outstanding! Rusty can be difficult and they are so patient and kind. My husband and I really appreciate that they go the extra mile! Thank you!!! — T. & M. Taylor
I am totally satisfied with the practices, procedures, and service currently in place and have no recommendation for improvement. — R. Schutte
The front staff are awesome and have great attitudes. Very friendly and approachable. — R. & D. Carter
This is the one place that I feel completely safe with taking my Jasmine too. All of you take good care of her. Thank you. — C. & J. Smith
I appreciate being able to walk in (I did call first) with no appt. The doctor was booked but he still took care of my pet. Kudos to Dr. Rodriguez!! — S. & C. Mag
You are doing everything super good!!! Keep it up!!!! — W. Williams
I have never had a vet office that treats its patients so well, and throughly explains all diagnosis and possible treatment. I have always bragged on this office and will continue to do so. — M. & N. Heller
Always professional, clean atmosphere. — J. Wilson
Love how Dr Rodriguez has a passion for what he does - it makes a huge difference! The staff is friendly and caring - thank you. — Anonymous
Very nice facility that is well kept up. Whenever one of my pets needs medical care,I know I can rely on Schertz Animal Hospital to provide excellent care. — D. & R. Lanier
Dr. Rodriguez and his staff are always pleasant, caring and I feel very confident in the care given to all of our pets! :) — M. & J. Hild